Critical Reflection

Over the past thirteen weeks, Binaisha and I have worked towards a media art project that explores the concept of ‘Futures’ through language. Focusing on the emergence of emoji as a digital language and how that has affected the way we communicate today. Our project started as a recreation of Nastya Ptichek‘s work, who created…

Week Thirteen: Almost there

Last week we discovered that the corridor effect was too confusing and the audience only focused on one side. So, we tested a single split screen to show both faces at once in one projection. This worked well and enabled the audience to see both sides of the conversation as well as the reactions to…

Week Twelve: Space

This week we played with the spatial aspects of our work, experimenting with the display of the content. We set up two projectors onto two screens on opposite ends of the black box, playing opposite sides of the conversation.  We discovered that it took up a lot of space and viewers would look predominately at…

Week Eleven: Where to from here?

In this week’s workshop, we recorded the script we developed last week and edited the video to include subtitles and projected it up onto the screen. We were happy with the content only needing minor adjustments in quality of the lighting and sound. However, we weren’t sure where else to go from here and move…

Week Ten: Translations

From last week’s discussion, we decided to move back to a more conversational approach. However, we struggled to write our own interesting conversations without being cliche or too specific, so we decided to continue with dialogue from tv shows and movies. We looked at Friends, Seinfeld and The Office but ultimately decided on The Office…

Week Nine: A few expereiments

This week Binaisha and I decided to try some of the different experimentations developed from last week’s discussion, in order to see what did and didn’t work. We looked at different short stories and speeches to create more of a narrative. First, we used ‘The Cat in the Hat’, we took four pages from the…

Week Eight: Project development

During this weeks, workshop Binaisha and I set up the video we had recorded during the postgrad week as our first iteration of the project pitch. When creating the video, we had decided to play around with the idea of creating dialogue through emoji’s using our own conversations but discovered that it lacked the flow…